Monday 13 January 2014

Chanfana [Goat Soup] Craving!

As a Welshman, lamb has always been my favourite meat. About halfway through my first year in Portugal, I developed a bit of a craving. The general consensus was that it was difficult to find, so one of my colleagues insisted I try a local delicacy; Chanfana. It's a delicious goat stew, usually served in a clay pot. The sauce, if I remember rightly, is a kind of red wine sauce with a bit of a spice kick. The meat is usually cooked for so long that it softly just peels off the bone.


Image plundered from Google Images (as I've not eaten it lately enough to take a photo!)

Anyway, typing about it makes me want to eat it even more. The reason I mention it is that there are two regions in my area of Portugal that claim they invented it (or at least claim a strong affinity with it). These are Miranda do Covo and Vila Nova de Poiares. Every year, they both hold a mini Chanfana festival, and Vila Nova de Poiares are hosting theirs this weekend. The colleague who introduced me to the delicious meal invited me to come along, insisting that I could alter my New Year's Resolution to include one meat a month, and this could be that meat! As I was slightly drunk when he recommended this alteration to me, I was very tempted. Willpower prevailed and I had to turn him down. I would have gone to the event too (and been tempted even more) if I didn't already have other plans for this weekend.

This dish will most certainly be one of the first things I eat when my six-month penance is over.


On an unrelated note, I'd like to put a shout out to my good friend, Chris Carra, who helped me set up this blog and has recently set up a blog to help small businesses with their own blogging. You can check out his advice and writing at http://www.small-business-blogging.com/2014/01/twitter-rules-for-small-businesses.html

No comments:

Post a Comment