Monday 6 January 2014

Vegetable Soup [Cawl]

Cawl is pretty much the welsh word for soup; but soup with vegetables, and usually either lamb or beef. When I was growing up it was the only way I'd eat vegetables, and in fact became one of my favourite meals. The first time I moved away, it was important that my mum taught my the recipe. At the age of 18, for some reason making vegetable soup was something that needed writing down but now it's like second nature.

The ingredients for my "veggie" soup are;
- some potatoes
- some carrots
- some leek
- some vegetable stock
- salt
- pepper

(I would also most definitely add some suede in there, but this vegetable doesn't seem to exist in Portugal)

I've left out quantities because it really depends how much you want to make. The ratio of carrots to potatoes also depends on your fondness for either.

Useless together, but united they are unstoppable!
Method:
1. Dice up your potatoes.
2. Slice up your carrots.
3. Slice up your leek.
4. Make your vegetable stock (I used a stock cube...easy!)
5. Put all your ingredients in a pan, with plenty of water.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Put on a low boil for around 3-4 hours (I actually left mine for about half the day on a simmer) until the vegetables are nice and soft.
A mélange of healthy colour.

8. Serve with bread.
I used "pao de agua" - nice thick crusty bread is a brilliant friend o' soup! 

TIP: This is the gift that keeps giving. The longer you leave it, the better it is. Heated up the next day, this is a brilliant dish to prepare and serve throughout the week. It's also a great way to go if you're on a budget. 

1 comment: